Tuesday 26 November 2013

GHARI

Ghari is deep fried fritters, made of Udad dal. This is mainly prepared at the time of Death anniversaries and prepared by Daughter-in-law.  When my Father-in-law's first death anniversary came I was unaware of all those dishes specially made on that particular day. So I had to search on the net for Ghari, Umbari, Varn etc...  But I could not find any such items on the net. I asked recipes from my few GSB friends, with their help I could do all the dishes.
UMBARI

WHAT YOU NEED:

Udad dal - 1 cup
Cumin seeds/ jeera - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
TOOK THE PIC IN THE LAST MINUTE..ONLY 2 UMBRIS WERE THERE!

HOW TO MAKE :

Wash udad dal and soak in water for 2 hours.
Drain the water.

Now Grind udad dal adding very little water to make a thick paste.

Mix salt and cumin seeds in the paste.

Heat enough oil in kadahi.
Wet your hand and drop a tsp of paste in to the hot oil. Fry in batches.
Fry till golden color.




4 comments:

U V KINI said...

The pic you posted is of a Gaari. Gaari's are not sweet.

Umbaris are sweetened with jaggery and turn a brownish red in color after frying like gOD appe's.

Unknown said...

Thank you U V Kini for the info. I will correct it soon.

Unknown said...

Can you please provide me recipes for ghari & umbri also other items prepared during death anniversary

Unknown said...

Very sorry for not responding earlier, as i was busy with something else. U can go th rough cthe liable VARSHIK RECIPES in my blog. I have posted some imp recipes except podis. Thank u for visiting.