Wednesday 29 February 2012

GOOSEBERRY/AMLA SAARU

My Mom used to store gooseberries in salt and it lasted for an year. She used the berries when they were not available for making curry and saaru. Once I too stored  in salt but in few days all the berries got decayed. Since then I stopped storing in such a way as I was getting fresh gooseberries here. One such day I had a great desire to have gooseberry saaru. It is like thin soup. I never knew that it can be made with fresh berries too.  It simply came into my mind that why don't I make with it with fresh ones....and...it came out so well and I am very much satisfied with this.


GOOSEBERRY SOUP


WHAT YOU NEED


Fresh gooseberry,  grated 1 1/2 tbsp
Tamarind , a small piece
Garlic 6-7
Red chillies 5
Salt to taste 


AVALO SAARU


HOW TO MAKE


Boil grated gooseberry and tamarind in a little water till soft.
When cool make a paste of it.
Add 3-4 cups water to the paste and stir well.
Add salt.
Boil again this for 5 minutes.


Heat a small pan with 4 tsp oil.
When hot Add slightly crushed garlic and fry till golden color.
Add broken red chillies and fry for a minute more.
Pour this seasoning over the Gooseberry Saaru. 
Boil again this for 5 more minutes.


Tastes good with hot steaming rice.

No comments: