Saturday 25 February 2017

PUTTU AND KADALA CURRY

Puttu and kadala curry is a popular breakfast in Kerala. I, being Mangalorean, my breakfast style is completely Mangalore style; thus, never attempted to make puttu or appam. After tasting these two things in restaurant, I regularly make these for breakfast. Recently I bought puttu maker also. For puttu and appam i use local brand powders and it comes out so well. When i went to my friend Lakshmy's place she showed me how to make puttu. I must thank her for her kindness. Very long back she had given me hand written recipe, now it came to my use, that i got it from my recipe collection. I made some changes in the recipe and here it goes.....
PUTTU AND KADALA CURRY

WHAT YOU NEED:


FOR PUTTU:

To make Puttu I followed the instruction from the packet I bought.

FOR KADALA CURRY

Black small chickpeas/ Kadala - 3/4 cup

Coconut grated - 2 handfuls or 1/2 cup

Tomato  - 1 chopped

Ginger - 1/2 inch piece, chopped

Onion - 1 big, finely chopped

Green chilly - 2 slit

Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp

Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp

Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp

Coriander powder - 2 tsp

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Curry leaves - 1 sprig

Salt - to taste
ORIGINATED FROM KERALA STATE, PUTTU KADALA


HOW TO MAKE:

Soak chickpeas in enough water overnight.

Pressure cook chickpeas with enough water.

Grind coconut grating to a fine paste adding some water.

Now heat 1 tbsp oil in kadahi.

Splutter mustard seeds, add ginger, green chilli and curry leaves.

Then add onion and fry till translucent.

Add tomato, fry till it becomes mushy.

Now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Stir fry for few minutes.

Then add coconut paste and some water , stir well. Allow to boil.

Now add cooked chickpeas and mix well. Also add chickpeas water in it. For thickening the gravy, grind handful of cooked chickpeas to a fine paste and add to the masala. Add salt and stir well

Put 2-3 cups of water for the gravy.  Here we need enough gravy to dip puttu in it.

Serve Kadala curry along with Puttu for breakfast.

No comments: