Wednesday 28 November 2012

MUSHTI POLO / SET DOSA

 I always wondered how the name Mushti polo came into exist. In Konkani Mushti means fist. In childhood days, when ever our Mom prepared Mushti polo, we children used to punch each other, holding our hand tight like fist and used to laugh loudly. Unforgettable lingering memories of our childhood days. Once I asked my grand mother why and how the name Mushti polo came. Her reply was very simple. She told me that there were no measuring cups in some houses, so they used their own mushti that is'fist' for measuring the ingredients..so the name! 
I had to believe her story and now I too have started my own fist for measuring some of the ingredients in kitchen. Recently I came to know that some people call this as Set Dosa.
MUSHTI POLO WITH BUTTER

WHAT YOU NEED:

Rice 2 cups ( here I used a measuring cup)
Udad dal  2 handfuls
Cooked rice or phova  2 handfuls
Coconut, grated 2 handfuls
Methi seeds/ Fenugreek seeds  1 tsp
Salt to taste


MUSHTI POLO /SET DOSA

HOW TO MAKE:

Wash rice and udad dal and soak along with methi seeds for 4 to 5  hours.

Grind rice, udad dal, methi seeds, grated coconut and cooked rice together till smooth.
Transfer the dosa batter in a vessel and keep overnight for fermentation. 
Add salt before going to bed.

Mix well with the ladle next morning. Add little water to get the right consistency.

Heat Dosa Tava, put a tsp of oil around and pour a ladle full of batter and spread thickly.
Cover the lid. When you open you will find soft fluffy dosa. Remove.
This dosa is fried only one side

Serve Mushti polo hot with Butter.

No comments: