Thursday 20 December 2012

DHOKLA

This is a Gujarati dish which I have always wanted to prepare. A few years ago we had visited Bombay on a vacation. Mr. Moorthy, my hubby's ex-boss invited us to his place at Dadar for evening tea. He is a very jovial person and we all loved his and his wife's hospitality. Mrs. Moorthy served us spl Gujarati dish Dhokla with green chutney! I had it for the first time in my life and I really loved it, and both my dtrs finished the whole plate in no time! Since then I have been waiting for the right time to make this dish. Here is the dish I prepared .......
DHOKLA

WHAT YOU NEED:

Gram flour / besan - 2 cups
Curd - 1 cup ( I had measured curd with my normal coffee cup)
Salt to taste
Green chilli paste - 1 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a little
Soda bi carb - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - of half lemon
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 tbsp
VERY POPULAR GUJARATI DISH, DHOKLA...

HOW TO MAKE:

In a mixing bowl, add gram flour, turmeric, curd and salt.
Mix well adding little water. The batter should be thick.
Keep covered for 3-4 hours.

Now add green chilli paste, ginger paste to the batter.
Mix lemon juice, soda bi carb and 1 tsp of oil in a bowl.
Add this mixture to the batter and mix well.

Take a flat vessel, grease with oil and pour the batter in to it.
Steam the vessel in a cooker for 12- 15 minutes.
When cool cut in cubes.

Heat a small pan with 2 tsp of oil.
Sputter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour the seasoning over the Dhokla cubes.
Sprinkle chopped coriander on the top.

Serve Dhoklas with green coriander chutney.










No comments: