Saturday 1 December 2012

SUN DRIED GREEN CHILLY / KONDATT MOLAGU

Without Kondatt molagu, the feast in Kerala is incomplete. Molagu, in Malayalam means Chilly. Here you get plenty of Green chillies of different varieties, some are thin and long, some are stout and short, some are white in color.... For this Kondatt molagu you need a particular variety of green chilly, little thick and short in size. This is my hubby's fav and without Molagu or any pickle his meals are incomplete. I bet it enhances the taste of your meals! My hubby used to buy this from the shop. Recently I learned how to make them from my maid servant Shantha. I found it very easy but you need very strong sunshine while drying the Chillies. Today, for lunch I fried 4 sun dried chillies. Wow!!! it is yummy, spicy.....oooo
DRIED AND FRIED CHILLIES!

WHAT YOU NEED:

Green chillies - 1 kg
Sour curd - 500 gms
Salt - 1 handful ( here I used crystal salt)


KONDATT MOLAGU! 

HOW TO MAKE :

Wash green chillies with enough water, then dry pat. 
Make a small holes or slit on the chillies with a pointed knife.
In a vessel mix curd and salt.
Now add the slit green chillies in the curd mix and combine well.

Now spread the curd chillies in a colander and keep it over a broad plate, under the sun for drying.
When the excess curd gets collected in the plate, it should be poured again over the chillies. 
Continue this process for 3-4 days.
When it is crisp and completely dried, store in a airtight jar.
When needed, fry them over a low heat till it is black in color.

Serve as a side dish.

No comments: