Wednesday 30 November 2011

MALTA LEMON /EED / BADGAPULI PICKLE



MALTA LEMON




Malta lemon is basically very bitter in taste. When I was small my grand mother had prepared its pickle for my grand father as he was ill and he had just recovered from fever. My granny thought this lemon would help him get back his taste. My grand father never liked this fruit, but granny used to force him to have this. I always wondered why he was so reluctant to have this pickle. I got to know when I licked  my finger dipped in this pickle.
Now I have tried Malta lemon's pickle, but it is not that bitter. It really enhances the taste of your lunch or dinner. This pickle goes especially well with Paje.


CHOPPED MALTA LEMON






WHAT YOU NEED:


Malta/wild lemon 2
Crystal Salt 1 cup ( small tea cup)
Red chillies (whole) 55 nos.
Mustard seeds 1 tbsp
Hing/ asafoetida 3 pieces (3 kabuli chana size)


MALTA LEMON PICKLE




HOW TO MAKE:


Wash malta lemon and wipe with clean cloth.
Cut into small pieces. Then apply salt and keep in a vessel for 2 days, in between shake the vessel so that the salt will completely dissolve in it. 


Powder red chillies, mustard seeds and asafoetida. 
Mix chilli powder and Malta lemon pieces very well. Add little warm water and mix again.











No comments: