Friday 28 October 2011

TOMATO SAARU (DEVASTANA SAARU)

 This Saaru is my fav and also for  my younger daughter Driti. I got this recipe from my friend Madhukantha, a month ago. This Saaru is made in our Temple festivals; that is why it got the name 'DEVASTANA SAARU' Since then, I am preparing this Saaru on my daughter's demand. Already I have  made  it 3 times, still not got bored of this. Do try this....

WHAT YOU NEED:

1.Grated coconut 2 tbsp
2.Coriander seeds 2,3 tsp
3.Red chillys 4,6 
4.Cumin seeds (Jeera) 1 1/2 tsp
5.Turmeric 1/2 tsp
6.Pepper corns 4,5
7.Udad dal 3/4 tsp
8.Chana dal 1/2 tsp
9.Temarind paste 1/2 tsp
10.Curry leaves 6,8
11.Mustard seeds 1 tsp
12.Tomato 1 chopped
13.Jaggery 1 tsp
14.Salt to taste



HOW TO MAKE:

Roast the above ingredients from 1 to 8, one by one.
Powder the roasted ingredients.
In a vessel put enough water to make a very watery soup like consistency.
Add chopped tomato, turmeric  and powdered masala and boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes, add jaggery and salt.

In a small pan heat little oil and add mustard and curry leaves.
Pour this seasoning over the tomato saaru..
Tastes very good with rice......





















No comments: